Content is the most important aspect for any blog. Whether the content is used to rank the article or to spread awareness; It is very crucial to have the article posted in the correct method and to make sure all the elements of the article are posted correctly. Below is a short list of checklist that I have prepared that would help you to rank better on search engines and will invite more readers to your site.
As you post your article, use this checklist to correct and enhance your blog article. Creating a checklist for posting an article on your blog will help you inprove your habits of posting content and will help you reach a larger crowd of readers.
Checklist for posting an article on your blog –
- Select an article to be posted that is congruent with your blog content theme
- You can use the Google keyword tool to find the niche keyword to easy rank for.
- You must have a keyword density of 1.5% – 2.5% optimally distributed over the article in order to have on-page optimization with relevant LSI (Latent Semantic Indexing).
- Select the right title relevant to the article that will create excitement for readers to read
- Always have the keyword in the title, as early as possible in the word order. The length of title tags should not be more than 80-90 characters
- You should have keyword in your first paragraph (preferably in the first line) and in the last sentence of the page.
- You should have your keyword: Bold and italics on your page.
- The most important thing is to have content that adds value to the reader. It is no point posting an article on your blog that has general knowledge. There should be some take-away for every reader who lands up on that page
- Avoid active selling on the pages. You can have indirect selling strategy for the content
- Give your articles H1 tags for the titles and H2/H3 for subtitles
- Bold important keywords and italic them so that the search engines as well as the readers realize that they are key words
- Add your post or article to one category or menu/sub-menu . Don’t use multiple categories for single posting
- Enter relevant tags to the post. It is advisable to have multiple tags but not more than 5 tags per posting
- Include Meta tags – Meta-title, Meta-description and Meta-keywords for better optimization. I would suggest that the length of the Meta-titles not more than 65 characters, Meta-descriptions no more than 160 characters and Meta-keywords no more than 256 characters
- The article should be broken down into a format like – headline, introduction, body, conclusion, resources and resource box. This will help the reader to classify your article and increase his interest to read the article further
- Add images with a title-tag and keyword-rich alt tags. This helps search engines to identify and classify the image
- Always give citation to any content or image copied from the web. It is very essential that you respect the content on the web and provide due credits for using the content or logos or trademarks or pictures. You may want to add disclaimers to your site explaining this
- Add a call to action button in the resource box which will direct the visitor to take appropriate actions. Please do not bombard the visitors with too many links. The call to action must have strong punch that will encourage visitors to click and go to the link addressed. The call to action must be congruent and relevant to the article
- Always add your contact details on the resource box so that the customer can contact you. May be a contact us form link or contact number or an email
- The post should have 2-3 internal links and 2-3external links pointing to authority site. The max links should be 5. Add rel=”nofollow” and target=”_blank” to your outbound links. I would recommend having internal call to action links in the resource-box
- You may embed a YouTube video related to it. This will give a lively effect to the visitors who find it easier to see a visual clip and learn rather than reading pages of content
- Before posting always make sure you have checked the spelling, grammar of the content and proofread the article
- Check the permalink to the article. This must be a pretty URL with your targeted keyword in it. The permalink should be having a category or some bifurcation at one directory down the link so that it can be classified for easy searches
Once the article is checked with the above check list, go ahead and hit the publish button. But the job doesn’t get over here. You have to go ahead with more post-publish activities to get more visitors on your site. I shall get this topic covered in a separate article posting.
I have listed above the checklist that I think is the most crucial before posting an article to your blog. It would be great if you could have more to the checklist by commenting on it or you can even fill out the contact me form. You can even tweet me @ashlesh_shah